Diagnosed with ITP. Platelet count stable after taking steroids. What precaution should I take?

Dr. Ketan Vagholkar

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: I was diagonised with ITP last year.My platelet count went down to 11,000.After completing the prescribed dose of steroids now the count is atable. Is there a chance that for this to relapse, what precautions should I take.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
ITP is condition wherein there is no obvious cause or etiology for the fall in platelet count. Steroids is the first line of treatment followed by immunomodulatory agents. Surgery has nothing much to offer.
The chance of a relapse is unpredictable. It can happen any time. There are no specific precipitating factors. Hence no specific precautions. Only a close watch on platelet counts on a periodic basis.
I hope this answers your querry.