Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Diabetic and have been detected with Cataract. What is the right time for surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
My father is detected with Catract in right eye and he is a diabitician. What is the right time to get the Catract surgery done.
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Stage of cataract and structures behind lens Detailed Answer: Hi, Your father needs to get few investigations done before he goes on for cataract surgery (replacement of the natural opacified lens to artificial lens ) . Since diabetes affects the structures behind the lens, the doctor would look at the back of the lens called retina, vitreous and macula. If they are fine then he will get a 'go ahead' for cataract. They would also check the pressure in the front of the lens and if it is normal the surgery will be performed. Now cataract is at different stages, the doctors would normally operate before the cataract is matured and that gives better results than removed a mature lens. First know what stage is the cataract and get the examination done. Hope this answers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor