• question-icon

Diabetic. Diagnosed with esophageal cancer. Does the Diabetes take a back burner while trying to deal with the cancer?

Posted on Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Question: I am a Type 2 Diabetic who uses no Insulin. About 3 weeks ago I have also been diagnosed with esophageal cancer - adenocarcinoma cancer. I will talk to an oncologist tomorrow and a radiologist on Wednesday since I've been told that surgery will not occur. My question is does the Diabetes take a back burner while I'm trying to deal with the cancer or what? My mother battled 2 bouts of esophageal cancer and died in 1989. I'm told that medicine has come a far piece since that time.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Control the diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for the query,

It is important to keep the diabetes under control no matter what. Controlling the blood sugar is extremely important as you move into a phase of your life where you will be battling this esophageal cancer.

Your oncologist will work closely with your internist to make sure your general health needs are met while the cancer is addressed.

Often an oncologist may request a PET scan or sometimes an endoscopic ultrasound to look for the extent of the disease present in the body.

Also it would be reasonable for the oncologist to request testing of the tumor specimen for HER2 - this is a protein which can be targeted by a special type of immunotherapy.

Lastly, you should discuss your mother's history as there may be some type of genetic predisposition in your family which may have screening implications for siblings or children as well.

I can trust that this is a very stressful and anxious time - take every day one step at a time and I am sure your physicians will present an appropriate plan for you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist