Developed itchy patches on arms and legs. Suspected to have psoriasis. Any ideas?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: Hi in the past several weeks I have developed very itchy small coin sized patches on my arms, legs. As i am a XXXXXXX with "age spots" inherited from my lovely grandmother who called them an ounce of beauty and hard work.... but those were not itchy and did not mutate or grow. i have many that are now changing shape, developing hard wart like formations or red pimples (no infection0.

Local doctor thought psorasis (type not clear), gave me a hydrocortisone salve and has referred me to a specialist endocronologist/dermotologist, neither likely for many months.

In the meantime, what do you suggest. i come from family with a lot of autoimmune illness. As a child i had ecxema and later devloped food allergies. My sibs hav neuropathy in feet, celiac and food sensitivities.

Any direction...or suggestion for releif from this searing itch?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Thank you for posting on HCM

Your description sounds to me like you are having a fungal skin infection while not disagreeing with your doctor's diagnosis of psoriasis. Tinia corporis (generally does not diffused to both extremities) or pityriasis vesicolor or pityriasis rosea (viral skin infection) might the ones you are presenting with. You might require antifungal medication either topically or orally to treat the condition. Using hydrocortisone might to be too effective especially if it is not psoriasis (which of course can also present that way). To immediately relief the itchiness, you will require antihistamines such as mequitazine (brand name: primalan), chlopheniramine or diphenylhydramine or avil (pheniramine maleate) etc. Can be got OTC. Oral steroids can also relief the itchiness (generally not got OTC).
You still have to see a dermatologist for review and appropriate treatment.

Hope this was helpful and write back if you need further clarifications.

Dr Nsah
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 9 hours later
thanks. useful thoughts. if it is fungal --- can you give further info on what causes it? is it bacterial/viral etc.... is it an autoimmune disorder? etc

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting back.
Actually pityriasis versicolor is caused by fungi notably candida or aspergillus or cryptococcus etc. While pityriasis rosea is caused by virus and psoriasis is an autoimmune skin disorder. A skin sample can be taken and analysed in the laboratory to confirm the actual causative organism but diagnosis is usually clinical and treatment effectuated.

Thank you
Dr Nsah