Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Inflamed and itchy labia minora, no discharge. What is it ?

Hi there For the last four weeks my labia minora is inflammed and itchy, especially the top part of it. I do not have yeast infection as had it number of times before and it looks nothing like it. There is no discharge . I do eat a lot of probiotics, avoid sugars and most fruits that contain high level of sugar, eat lots of vegetables, use natural staff such as oregano oil once a day to keep digestive system at bay.
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  1001
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello. I'm Dr. Christensen.
I'm sorry you're uncomfortable. Without an examination and more information it won't be possible to diagnose your condition, but several thoughts come to mind:
If you use feminine hygiene products, panty shields or tight-fitting clothing (e.g., pantyhose), your symptoms could simply be due to "contact dermatitis," which occurs when your skin is exposed to an irritating agent. Avoidance of the offending agent is usually sufficient to alleviate symptoms.
The labia are sometimes involved by autoimmune skin disorders, such as lichen planus or lichen sclerosus. Both of these conditions can cause itching and inflammation. Lichen planus often runs its course over 6 to 18 months (although it can persist); lichen sclerosus tends to be chronic. Both conditions can lead to scarring of the labia or tightening of the vaginal opening, which could make intercourse uncomfortable. Both disorders usually respond to treatment, though. This usually entails topical or, in severe cases, systemic corticosteroids.
Finally, the Skene's glands that lie beside your urethra can become infected, and this could lead to inflammation and itching of the adjacent labia minora.
If your symptoms don't improve after you eliminate any potentially irritating agents, I suggest you see your gynecologist or a dermatologist to confirm your diagnosis and discuss treatment options.
I hope that all helps, and I hope you feel better soon.
Answered: Mon, 26 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor