Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Depressed, due to family problem. Suggest?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
Hi I'm very depressed. I have a family problem, with my son and daughter in-law. She controls him as far as anything that go's on with me. I take care of my granddaughter's (I use to care for them)plus she has (2) son's 12 and 16 years. They are rud and disrepecfull. I try very hard not to inter-act because it causes proublems. All I can do is be social with them. I can't see my (2) other grand daughter because she doe's not aprove. My son only goe's by what she wants also he does not call me.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
this is a big psychosocial problem

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I will be XXXXXXX and straight forward to you. I am afraid there is nothing much you can do from your part. It is obvious that you are very concerned about your son's family (and your family in general). You seem to be the type with a big heart that will see that all his children and grand children are all doing great, but they are certain things that can not be controlled, at least not by you.
The main issue is your relationship with your daughter-in-law. Since it is not moving between both of you, it would not obviously flow well with your grand children. If you have a social relationship with them, then that is something good. Just try avoid to parent them all the time and be just their friend.
You know you are elderly now and can not handle some stress as you use to do with your own kids. You just have to allow your daughter in law take care of her children the way she feels as your concern might drive you more depressed.
It will be difficult for you to detach completely from them but you will need to try if you do not want to end the rest of your life thrown up in a geriatric center.
People like your grand daughter exist and you just have to learn to deal with them.
If your depression is serious, then you will need to be placed on medications. Believe me, then will relieve you greatly and make you feel better.
Try talking this issue too to your son and see if he can get to his wife. The wife might also need to see a counselor for some serious guidance regarding her children.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor