question-icon

Daughter 23 yrs diagnosed with nutcracker syndrome of left renal

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2019
Question: Daughter 23 yrs diagnosed with nutcracker syndrome of left renal vein. Urologist appt made. Habit of using waist trainers to make waist smaller. Could that have caused it? Will she need surgery?A stent? Will that mean future surgeries to replace stent? Stents cause scar tissue and clots so worried about going that direction.
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen (45 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Unlikely related to training

Detailed Answer:
Hi Pbac,

It is unlikely that the syndrome is caused by training, it is probably congenital.

Usually, the condition can be treated with stenting, which can be a definitive treatment. Surgery is rarely indicated.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen (4 hours later)
will a stent need replacing throughout her life if that is the course they chose?
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen (12 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Probably not

Detailed Answer:
Hi again Pbac,

A stent is permanent, but if it migrates out of position, it may be necessary to replace it.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon