Could swallowing difficulty, hoarseness, frequent cramps in the feet, hands and toes be symptoms of ALS?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 20 Nov 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am concerned that I have ALS. I have had MRI with negative results, an EMG and nerve conduction study that showed bilateral Carpal Tunnel. I had Acetylcholine Receptor Modulating Autoantibodies which was 19% binding inhibition. In the past couple weeks my swallowing difficulty has increased. The past week I have started having frequent muscle twitching in my rt bicep and deltoid. I have frequent cramps in my feet and toes as well as cramps in my hands. I drop things, my voice is hoarse on and off. I trip frequently. My neurologist is my sleep specialist. He is more concerned about my CPAP usage. Is it possible to have these test findings and still have ALS. I am an RN and very worried.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is not ALS unless something else comes up!

Detailed Answer:

All these findings make ALS impossible. I understand the heightened fear, given your knowledge about this dreadful disease but you are way too worried. Swallowing difficulties often set it at the last stage and signals the terminal phase. This is not where you are.

Be calm and don't let anxiety override your thoughts. Anxiety alone can lead to worsened symptoms that may or may not even be present.

Hope I have answered your query.

I wish you well, keep me updated.

Dr. Ivo Ditah,