Could diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis be caused due to exposure to herbicides?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Fri, 23 Nov 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had Forestiers /DISH for several years, in some of the research one of the causes could be environmental. is there any indication DISH could be caused by exposure to Herbicides (Agent Orange), insecticides or pesticides? would like response from specialist in this field.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multifactorial disease

Detailed Answer:

Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis is a condition where the ligaments that attach to the bone harden and become stiff. As the word 'idiopathic' means 'of unknown' origin, it is not yet clear yet in medical science as to what is the cause, however, increased insulin conditions, such as diabetes, pre diabetes and obesity are known to be linked with the incidence of this condition. It also known to affect primarily men over 50 and also people who have used certain medications.

There is, however, a suspicion, which has not yet been confirmed, that DISH may also be an autoimmune disease, where the body’s immune system turns against itself and attacks specific cells or organs. As with all autoimmune diseases, the reason remains unclear, but it is thought that certain environmental causes may serve as triggers. So, to answer your question, in this regard, I would not exclude herbicides as a potential cause of this disease. Although this remains yet to be confirmed by medical science.

I hope this answers your question.

Wishing you good health and all the best.

Dr. Ornela Ademovi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad