Constipation, bloating, abdominal pain and discomfort. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Constipation
Question: I have abdominal pain & discomfort, Bloating (look's like I'm 5 moths pregnant) , Chronic constipation, Cramping, that is worse when you move or lift something. My pants can not be buttoned because of the paint it will cause.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As you have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis there is always a risk of its symptoms return. Moreover, with this disease you are prone to complications like toxic megacolon or bowels obstruction. It is strongly advisable for you to have this two conditions ruled out. Your should visit ER and have abdominal X-ray performed, full blood work and CRP. If urgent conditions ruled out, you should get scheduled for colonoscopy and abdominal CT.
You may need total large intestine removal which can give you permanent relief from ulcerative colitis.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later
Is the pain and bloating that I feel if I move a little more or lift my toddler "normal" symptoms for ulcerative colitis? which happens even if I don't have bloody stool, and the pain is to the point that I can't be touched, sexual intercorse is hell.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

This symptoms are characteristic for ulcerative colitis complications. Pain while moving indicates some inflammatory process which has involved peritoneum. I suggest you not to wait anymore and go for the tests I have mentioned before.

Hope this will help.
Regards.