Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Cluster of black heads on the chest when squeezed smells like sour milk.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
I have a cluster of blackheads on my chest. They have been there for years. When I squeeze them, they smell like sour milk. How do I get rid of them?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 22 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Chest is a common site for blackheads, since there are lot of sebaceous glands over there.
Apart from excess sebum secretion, the other cause of black heads over there could be that the pores are getting blocked because of excess sweat or pollution or may be it is not getting cleaned properly. It can even be that you are using any moisturizer over the area or using a oily soap for bathing.

The smell is because of the oil or sebum trapped with in the gland.

The best way to get rid off it is to get it removed or extracted with the help of a comedome extractor. This can be best done by a Dermatologist. Once you get it removed you should use a Tretinoin cream locally over the area at night time which would prevent it from re-occurrence. And one should also keep the area clean using a anti acne soap(medicated) .

If this doesn't help then one can take oral retinoids for 5-6 months depending upon ones body weight. Oral Retinoids is a prescription based medicine and you should get it prescribed by a dermatologist only. There are certain blood tests which needs to be carried out before one takes retinoids, and there are certain precautions which needs to be taken once started.

The above medicines are not OTC, but then there are certain comedones/black head strips also available as OTC, which can be applied at night. This might help in taking away the clog.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Dr.Bharat chawda.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor