Child has abdominal pain and nausea. FGD showed food stuck in stomach. What could that be?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my child is 14 years old for 4 months now she has been having abdominal pain and nausea mostly when she eats nothing has helped thus far. they did a EGD recently with biosy( no biopsy results yet), it showed lots of food just sitting there in her stomach, when she had not eaten in 18hrs prior to the procedure. What could that be ?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: please refer to the following answer... Detailed Answer: Hi I read carefully all your child concerns and I am sorry for her situation. Based on the FGD-scopy, the problems consist in her stomach, and the causes might be: - pyloric stenosis (a narrowing of the passage from the stomach to small intestines) - gastroparesis (as the food was stucked in the stomach due to no movement of stomach) - possible complication of Rolandic seizures Could you please send in all the tests results? That could help assisting you further. Meanwhile, I'd suggest to - wait for the results of the biopsy, - give your daughter some pain-killers - let her rest more - give her more water and do not push her to eat Looking forward to have the results of the tests performed! Wish you health! Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad