What causes severe cough after eating?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: why do I start with a high stomach cough after eating. it feels like I am over full and that's when I cough more.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check for irritable bowel syndrome, Pyloric stenosis (stomach exit narrowin

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

This could explained by simple dysfunction or slow contractions of stomach to empty content to the small intestines. Drugs that modify intestinal contractions could be helpful as is seen in Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

If this has been going on for a very long time, I strongly suggest that you get a fibroscopy done, an abdominal ultrasound or ct scan could be helpful. Excluding conditions like masses or tumors of the pylorus (exit of the stomach) is important. These tumors could affect the pace at which food is voided from the stomach to the intestines and precipitate the symptoms you are experiencing. This could be particularly more plausible in case you have a history of peptic ulcer disease.

Thanks and kind regards, and its important to get consulted properly by your GP.

Kind regards,

Dr Bain

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T