Child feeling funny in chest, tired, cold and shivering. Ultrasound normal. Is this common?

Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My 6 year old daughter has on several occasions now complained that she doesn't feel good when playing(usually running around) and points to her chest- has also happened today as she has had a stomach bug, and is now complaining that her heart "feels funny". Upon looking at her chest, her heart is thumping so hard I can see it very visably through her chest. the last time she became very tired and cold and shivered. this lasted for an hour before she felt better again. She was diagnosed with a heat murmur as a 3 year old, however un ultrasound of her heart showed this was nothing of great concern. I would love to know if this is common in children, or if I should insist my doctor refers her to a specialist.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later
I would like to know few things before really giving you a reply. One is, is she thin lean or obese? Does she have any other regular symptoms like easy fatigue, unable to play as well as her peer group?

Yes, it’s OK to have child feel funny feeling in chest and also to see the heart thumping if the child is very thin. However, in the view of her one episode of very tired and cold event and also having diagnosed with murmur, I feel she should have review examination by her pediatrician and worked up with at least an ECG and echo-cardiogram.

Hope this helps you. Please do write back for further discussion on this.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later
Thank you for responding. she is thin and generally plays well, though the last 6 months she has complained more regularly of being tired and not wanting to play any longer where she proviously would have played for hours. She has this afternoon had an ECG, we will not know the results until tomorrow,and will have a chest X-ray tomorrow. Her GP has suggested it might be exercise induced asthma and could not detect a murmur.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 3 hours later
Considering the symptoms, she does need investigations and you are in right direction.

There is always possibility of exercise-induced asthma as cause for symptoms. However, we firmly need to rule out cardiac cause. Please do get back to me with reports.