Can weight loss cause a sudden spike in the heart rate?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 1 Aug 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My resting heart rate has always been good 70's and when I'm sleeping it drops to the low 60's. I lost about 10lbs a couple of months ago and now my heart rate is 101. When I go to sleep it may hit upper 70's. Sometimes I'm very shaky all over now too.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that this change in heart rate could probably be due to more active lifestyle which you have started following recently and will settle over a period of time.

However the shakiness which you are complaining of needs few investigations to be carried out to understand the underlying situation. I would like to suggest you following tests.

1. Complete Blood Count
2. Thyroid function test
3. Serum electrolytes
4. Lipid profile

These tests will help to understand about the underlying cause of both increased heart rate as well as shakiness. You can also discuss this with your doctor before getting these done.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj