Can vitamin deficiency cause finger and toe nails peeling?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I have three finger nails peeling and two toe nails doing the same thing. Is this some type of vitamin issue or other possible internal issue ?
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Onychomycosis. Oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images.
I can see yellowish, discolored, crumbly nail plate. You seen to have a fungal infection of nail plate - onychomycosis.
I suggest you to take an oral antifungal e.g tab fluconazole 150mg once a week for at least 6-9 months.
In addition to this you may apply an antifungal nail lacquer e.g 8% ciclopirox olamine nail lacquer once daily.

Follow-up: Can vitamin deficiency cause finger and toe nails peeling? 1 hour later
I will do that way can cause this to occur most often

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Onychomycosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

It's a fungal infection. Can happen in otherwise healthy individuals.