Can video calls harm toddlers?

Excellent

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
My daughter is 5 months old , to talk with my parents we use video call service , the communication with my daughter and her grand parents happens over this call . I have been practicing this since my child was 1.5 months old , for about 2 to three times daily for about 10 to 15 mins each time .I would like to know am i doing the correct thing ? can this harm my daughter ?
Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A video call will not harm your daughter

Detailed Answer:
Hi....a video call will not harm your daughter. In fact it actually increases her perception of faces and increases the bonding with your parents.

But one sincere suggestion is that - later on do not give her cell phone or tablet because - if video games or rhymes or short stories or seen in them, rather than by parental interaction, it might lead on to hyperactivity or language delay.

But regarding video calling - you can happily continue it.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth