Can swollen lymph node cause pain in right ear and jaw?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi I have a minor pain near my righ ear and jaw , no swelling, could this be a swollen lymph node
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ear, Throat, Dental examination, USG Neck if this persists.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The ears should be examined first. If they are normal, then this may be a referred pain from the jaw or throat (due to common nerve supply). A dental examination should be done.

2. There are many lymph nodes in this region and a swollen lymph node is likely to cause a swelling. If this persists get a Neck USG (Ultrasound) which will settle the issue.

3. Initially an anti-inflammatory medication should be taken for a couple of days. If this persists, you can investigate further.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 23 minutes later
can you see or feel a lymph node , like the jogolodistic lymph node.
can stress or anxiety cause the area to become inflamed
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lymph nodes have to be very large to be visible.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. It is possible to feel a lymph node before it is visible. Most of the lymph nodes in the head and neck region are considered normal if they are under 1 cm in size.

2. In the case of the Jugulo-Digastric (JD) node, up to 1.5 cm is considered normal. This JD node drains the palatine tonsil and hence this area must be examined if it is enlarged.

3. Stress and anxiety does not cause localized inflammation.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist