Can stress related capsular inflammation cause soreness in the knees?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 24 Apr 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, It is probably a stupid question, but, my knee has never hurt before. I was bedding down a barn with some straw and was kicking it around, and the next morning it was kinda sore, but that was week ago and it isn't better, if I try and work around the ranch now it starts to hurt pretty bad. I try and stay off of it some, but shouldn't it be better by now?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Can be mild capsular inflammation.

Detailed Answer:

With the given history, the pain in the knee is more likely to be due to stress related minor capsular inflammation rather than decrease in the joint lubricants.

The mild inflammation of the knee after some activity mostly subsides by taking anti-inflammatory agents and mild pain killers like Ibuprofen.

In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.

If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:

1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.

2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.

4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

5. Calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.

6. Generally, we recommended, rest, graded exercises, rest and graded exercises to let you know the right amount of time you can spend on exercise without injuring yourself.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon