Can someone get HIV from a needle prick?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have pierced a pimple / cyst with a snall sewing needle / pin out of an hotel sewing kit - Should i be concerned about catching any serious infections ?
So do i need to get tested for HIV after using a sewing needle to pierce a spot ?
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
hi It is not safe to use unsterilized objects . Hope that you are lucky.

Brief Answer:
No need for HIV testing .

Detailed Answer:
Hi , I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
HIV is transmitted by blood to blood contact. Sewing kits supplied in hotels are not sterile and can cause infection- may be different organism from your cyst/ pimple.
In your case you have used sewing needle - hotels generally give you a fresh kit and not used one -there is a chance of infection but not of HIV.
Just wait for few days and if required consult a physician if cyst / pimple reappears or becomes worse.
I hope I have explained the logics and needs.
Thanks