Can scoliosis cause swollen feet and ankle?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: Is it possible for someone (age 44) who has scoliosis since being a teenager to have it somehow affect swelling in her feet and ankles.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If there is progressive curve of scoliosis then

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
If there is progressive curve of scoliosis then spinal nerve may get compressed, can lead to swelling over foot and ankle.

Another possibility of pedal edema which can lead to foot and ankle swelling.
Pedal edema can be due to cardiac or renal dysfunction.
You may need clinical examination and required investigation for further evaluation of disease.

You may need MRI spine to get detail diagnosis of scoliosis status and blood investigation.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.