Can prediabetes and high blood sugar cause tingling and muscle spasms?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 30 Nov 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hello, ive had this issue for years now and still don't have an answer to what it may be so i was hoping i could get an idea or a few ideas on what it could be that way when i go to my doctor next week ill have some ideas of what could be causing my symptoms to avoid walking out with no answers again. Well for a few years now i have had a tingling feeling in my legs along with small muscle spasms in all different areas of my legs that sometimes but rarely go up my back or the back of my arms but it is mostly just my legs and i noticed that its worse while lying down. Last time i went to my doctor they ran some tests and said my blood sugar was high and i was pre diabetic and that the symptoms im having could be due to that alone. I just feel there is more to it than that. Any advice on what this could be would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

A number of causes

Detailed Answer:

These symptoms could be due to a number of reasons.
Dehydration can cause such symptoms so make sure that you drink at least eight cups of fluids daily including water and juices.

Potassuim, calcium, magnesium or vitamin b23 deficiencies also can cause similar symptoms.

So, I would recommend that you take a blood test to check on their levels and if found low then you should take supplements with follow up on their blood levels.

If all the previous causes were excluded then you should consider a CT scan on your lumbar vertebrae to exclude lumber disc herniation or prolapse.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng