Can position of the arms cause shaking of the hands?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Just need an answer to a question i have had. I am sure it is not to serious. But when i am lying down and have my hands above my head for a while and try to lift my hands up back from over my head, my hands start to shake. Is this normal? I suffered some sort of nerve injury(carpel maybe cubical tunnel haven’t been diagnosed yet). But yea just wondering, i also lost a ton of muscle in my forearms due to the nerve damage but i am slowly gaining it back
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not serious at all.

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
I am very glad to hear that after a successful treatment for nerve injury you are getting better and the nerve damage is healing.
The problem you describe now is due to blood circulation and physics. Gravitation and position of arms while you are lying down with hands above you head makes it difficult for the blood to travel up to the tips of your finger. Thus you don't get a very good circulation, and when you try to lift them, they are shake due to weakness in the muscles and nerves after the short period of low blood circulation.
I would recommend you to avoid that position and to stay hydrated. This will help with blood pressure and circulation.

You will get better, young man!
Wish you health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad