Can plantar wart be cured without surgery?

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a wart in the plantar aspect of toe. Can this be cured without surgery?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Plantar wart treatment

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you are having a plantar wart.

You could apply 12-17 % salicylic acid lotion at bedtime on the wart for 6 weeks. You should be careful while applying the lotion. Apply a very little amount only on the wart. You could apply petroleum jelly around the lesion so that the lotion does not spread to normal skin.

You could also get it treated by cryotherapy. This has to be done by a dermatologist. This will freeze the wart and it will fall off after2-3 freeze cycles.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr. Johny Chacko
Follow up: Dr. Johny Chacko 7 minutes later
Dear Dr. Chacko,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have heard something about an adhesive tape like corn tape which could be used for wart treatment. Does something like that exist?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Over the counter treatments

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

You could use over the counter medications containing salicylic acid. However, please ensure that the percentage of salicylic acid does not exceed 17.5% to a maximum of 20%. Also make sure that you apply petroleum jelly in the surrounding area.

The tapes that you have mentioned usually contain 40%. This could cause redness in the surrounding normal skin and maceration.

Compound W wart remover gel is one over the counter preparation which you could get in drugstore.com in the USA. You could try that.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Johny Chacko