Can left lung cancer spread to the right lung without

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
Can left lung cancer spread to the right lung without setting up camp in other areas of the body. If so, how common is this? My husbands PET SCAN and Brain MRI are clear, but there is a small node on the right lung that hasn't changed in size since November, but it appears to produce a lot of mucous with a cough. He has been on a round of antibiotics that didn't help. They want to try another round of antibiotics. He doesn't have a fever. What are the chances that the cancer has spread to this lung and it isn't an infection.
Sun, 11 Feb 2018 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes that's possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your husband has undergone lobectomy for left lung cancer and is now on Chemotherapy. Recent scans have showed a right lung nodule which is persisting from before and he is having cough with expectoration. You have not provided the detailed history and recentmost scan report hence this is what I could gather from your previous queries and current description.

This can be due to cancer spread but possibility is quite low, considering the original stage and baseline scans. Around 5-10% approximately. Most likely it is due to infection. If it's not responding then I would recommend a bronchoscopy to have a closer look and also get the microbial studies.

Hope this helps.