Can cat allergens be effectively removed from a house?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I have bad allergies and get allergy shots. The allergy testing I had done said I have a mild cat allergy. I'm wondering if this means I shouldn't buy a house I like whose owners used to have a cat. I've never had an allergic reaction to cats but I've spent very little time with them. My dad had an extreme cat allergy. Can cat allergens effectively be removed/cleaned from a house? Should I just pass on this house?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clean the house before entering in.

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern.

According to the history you provide it is a light allergy from cats. I don't think this would be a problem for you to move to the new house.

Just keep in mind that you should definitely avoid cats contact. Before entering in the new house do a completely cleaning of it change the carpets and blankets too and I don't think you will have problems.

Hope to have been helpful for you.

Dr. Jnikolla, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad