Can bronchitis be treated via home remedies temporarily?

Dr. Monika Dede

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My wife was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday at an “Urgent Care” clinic, and prescribed Doxycycline. While she tolerates this drug, everything one reads suggests avoiding antibiotics unless the bacterial infection is established. Would you agree that it would be preferable to treat via “home remedies at least over the next 48 hours, so long as there is no worsening? (X-ray was taken to rule out pneumonia).
Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually, I don't suggest antibiotic for acute bronchitis.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing in HealthcareMagic.

First of all, please let me know what symptoms have your wife and how many days?

In my experience, usually, I don't prescribe antibiotics for acute bronchitis because in most cases is caused by viruses.

It is a good news that pneumonia is excluded in this case and she can use Acetaminophen (Tylenol) for fever, mucolytic syrup for cough and drink water and hot tea.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

I hope my answer helps you.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee