question-icon

Can breast discoloration be breast cancer ?

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2012
Question: breast discoloration can this be cancer looks like buusing purple and red I am a 53 old black woman my right brest has discoloring also looks bruised but does not hurt
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (20 minutes later)
Hello and thank you for your query.

It is unlikely that discoloration alone is an indication of cancer. It is possible that there was a tiny bit of bleeding under the skin which caused the discolored look. I have seen this before in a patient who has a bra which did not fit properly and caused a bit of local trauma.

However, it is extremely important for me to ask and make sure that you have has your screening mammogram within the past 12 months. If not, it is very important that you schedule an appointment to have one done. While as I said it is unlikely that the change you appreciate is some kind of cancer, it is still important to make sure you have had appropriate screening.

I hope my answer has been both adequate and informative. Should you have additional questions, I am available to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist