Can appendicitis cause diarrhoea, abdominal pain and fever?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My daughter who is 27 has had diarrhea for a good part of the day and a fever as high as 100.7. She now has pain in her right side and shooting pain in that area when she gets up to use the bathroom. Should she be concerned about appendicitis?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Information.

Detailed Answer:

I've learned that appendicitis can be difficult to tell by history but there is almost always an abdominal pain (usually lower right side), low-grade fever, and pain with walking.

Usually some nausea too.

In adults, there is also usually a progression of symptoms over a period of hours - with pain being more non-specific at first and then localizing to the right lower quadrant of the abdomen.

While this may be a viral gastroenteritis ("stomach flu") that will pass without anything except keeping up with fluids, as I don't have the advantage of doing an exam, I would err on the side of caution and have her go in tonight to be seen.

In the ER the doctor can do an exam (there are some tests like leg raising that can give the examining doctor a better idea), and they may also opt to do an ultrasound or observer for progression of symptoms.

So it may be on the cautious end but better safe than sorry with these particular symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh