Can appendicitis cause diarrhoea, abdominal pain and fever?
I've learned that appendicitis can be difficult to tell by history but there is almost always an abdominal pain (usually lower right side), low-grade fever, and pain with walking.
Usually some nausea too.
In adults, there is also usually a progression of symptoms over a period of hours - with pain being more non-specific at first and then localizing to the right lower quadrant of the abdomen.
While this may be a viral gastroenteritis ("stomach flu") that will pass without anything except keeping up with fluids, as I don't have the advantage of doing an exam, I would err on the side of caution and have her go in tonight to be seen.
In the ER the doctor can do an exam (there are some tests like leg raising that can give the examining doctor a better idea), and they may also opt to do an ultrasound or observer for progression of symptoms.
So it may be on the cautious end but better safe than sorry with these particular symptoms.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Feeling faint or dizzy abdominal pain appendicitis
- Have abdominal pain on right side appendicitis
- Severe abdominal pain appendicitis why fever and chills
- What causes abdominal pain with fever
- Lower abdominal pain poly cystic ovaries or appendicitis
- Abdominal pain fever constipation possible appendicitis uncontrolled urination right diagnosis
- Abdominal pain nausea constipation pain due to appendicitis
- Abdominal pain diarrhoea low fever advise medication
- Loss of appetite abdominal pain and cough have appendicitis
- Sporadic abdominal pain diagnosed with appendicitis advised surgery
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis