Can an additional dosage of Bactrim be taken for UTI?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Infections
Question: Is it alright to take two rounds of Bactrim (14 tablets 800-160MG) for a urinary tract infection in a row.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
would be safe to use but may not be effective

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

You can use an extended course of the bactrim but if it did not work the first time, it is possible that it may not have an effect the second time as well.

The urine culture would determine which antibiotics would work well.

It would be best to switch to different course of antibiotics to see if these would have an effect but if this is not possible, you can continue the bactrim. If you did not have a reaction the first time, then you should be okay for the second course

Using cranberry products and copious fluids to flush the urinary tract, would also help as well.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions