question-icon

Can abdominal hernia cause constant nausea?

Posted on Wed, 20 Jul 2016
Question: Would an abdominal hernia cause me to have nausea almost constantly?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
If Hernia is obstructed, you may get vomiting.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Hernia is nothing but extension of the inner layer of abdomen called peritoneum outside ,with bowel or Omentum in it as a content.
If bowel gets stuck inside the hernia sac, it is called obstructed hernia. Then, the food contents will not pass distally causing Vomiting.
Most of the hernia swellings will get reduced in lying down posture or with pressure.
If the content is not reduced, it may lead to nausea and vomiting.
Please consult your surgeon, get examined clinically and proceed accordingly. Hernia has no medical treatment. It has to be operated. At this age of 86,I prefer surgery only if it gets complicated with Obstruction or strangulation.

Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon