Can Pioglit be taken for long-term usage despite normal sugar levels?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Diabetes
Question: Sir i am using Pioglit Mf 15, 3 tab per day and Reclide 80mg 4 tab per day any how my sugar levels are in control sir can i continue them for long time
my Doctor advised me to go for Insulin. If i asked for other dosage he says
there is no other way if you are not willing to continue above. i heard that there is problem with pioglitazone. sir i am diabetic from last 15 years and almost my sugar levels are in control
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Brief answer:
Continue oral anti diabetic medicines including piozone till sugar is controlled or you don't develop side effects

Detailed answer:
I have read your query and understand your concern. 

If your sugar levels are controlled,then you should carry on with these medicines,however sooner or later these oral medicines would loose their efficacy and then you would have to switch over to injectable insulin.

Till your sugar levels are controlled with your current medicines or you don't develop any side effect thenkeep taking them.
As far as PIOGLITAZONE is concerned,you can continue with it but must report to doctor,if you develop following side effects like....
Breathlessness or gain of weight or swelling on legs etc
Blurred vision
Any blood in urine etc.
Make sure that your blood sugar levels are controlled and hence you must take all the measures like calorie restriction along with regular exercises and regular medications.
In the end I would like to say that generally all diabetics who are controlled on oral diabetic drugs eventually do have to take injectable insulin.
This happens because with time,beta cells ( responsible for insulin production in your body ) get progressively destroyed and then a stage comes where one has to take injectable insulin for control of their sugar levels.

So till your blood sugar levels are controlled with present regime,carry on . No need to disturb it.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck
Thanks 
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj