Can Metaxalone be split and taken?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I just got a script for 800mg of Metaxalone for sore back muscles. The pills are scored and I tried to split one to take just 400mg but the pill split into 4 parts. Is it ok to take or should I throw them away
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is okay to take if sure of splitting!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

If the pill was equally divided into quarters, there is no harm in taking two parts of the 4. However, make sure that this corresponds to half of the pill. If you are not sure of this and think there is some disproportionate split which may lead to taking less or more than half of the whole pill, I will recommend that you discard it and get a new one.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for trusting us with your query and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.