Can Martifur MR be taken in place of Urifast syrup?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 10 Jan 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 2 yr old baby was on prophyllaxis dose of Urifast Syrup (nitrofurantoin) since last 2 months. He has neurogenic bladder and gets frequenct UTIs. I came to know that there is no syrup available for nitrofurantoin in XXXXXXX market as production of Urifast syrup has been stopped by drug company. Can I give my baby Martifur MR tablets containing nitrofurantoin instead by breaking the 100 mg tablet and mixing in honey/juice. Would it be same as Urifast Syrup in terms of effectiveness if I maintain same mg per day. If not, please suggest a substitute and mode of administration.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you maintain the same dose, you can use it

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I understand your concern. It is it true that nitrofurantoin syrup is not available now as urifast. Even in XXXXXXX we are facing the same problem.

You are absolutely right in using Martifur MR tablet provided you can maintain the same dose.

You can as well mix it in honey and give it. No problem.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth