Can IVF be done despite the absence of menstrual bleeding for a year?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi. I'm XXXXXXX I had lap double salpingectomy on 19/01/2018 and i didn't have period since. My last period was 04/01/2018. I am due to start IVF so i'm starting to be worried
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Not related to surgery.

Detailed Answer:

The absence of periods after lap salpingectomy is not related to surgery. This can happen due to stress, anxiety, ovarian cyst or a hormonal imbalance.

You need to consult your gynaecologist and get hormonal tablets prescribed to get a withdrawal bleeding.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hi. I understand that it might not be related with the surgery. It's possible to skip my period in February because it suppose to be on 02/02 too close to the operation date ? Have u heard any cases like this before?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:

Can happen due to surgery.

Detailed Answer:

The anxiety or stress of surgery can delay the period by 1-2 weeks. Now it is best to get hormonal pills prescribed and get a withdrawal bleeding.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Rakhi Tayal, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T