Can Gabapentin and Oxycodone be taken together?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: i found information that said gabapentin and oxycodone work better together than they do alone and i can not find i now can you help
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

While I am not aware of the specific article you mention, I do agree that gabapentin and oxycodone can complement each other. Gabapentin is meant to treat chronic neuropathic pain, whereas oxycodone is meant to treat extreme pain caused by cancer. Oxycodone used over the long term can lead to hyperalgesia, an increase in pain, so should be avoided as much as possible -- instead, gabapentin should be used. They can work well together to treat pain, but the ideal is to transition from oxycodone to gabapentin as soon as possible.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 days later
Dr Sheppe I want to tell you my condition, I saw a neurologist and i was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, reactive arthritis, which is caused by a bacteria that is eating my bones [so i was told], also fibromyalgia. I also have scoliosis and hip dysplasia. I am not able to walk more than about 30 feet and my hips start hurting if I keep walking the pain gets so bad I can't move, I am also being treated for lack of serotonin in the brain and PTSD. About 3 months ago I fractured 8 ribs and fractured my hand on the right side. I think my ribs have healed from what I can tell, but my right hand is not healing well and I have a lot of pain in it, also right shoulder, these fractures were caused by falling and landing on my right side. I believe I will have chronic pain for the rest of my life, would you have a different answer knowing all the problems, or do you have a different idea? please let me know, and thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for this information. My answer remains the same. I would also suggest intensive physical therapy, as this is the only thing proven to improve pain and functionality of movement over time.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 15 hours later
Dr Sheppe Is there a time frame where oxycodone becomes a problem?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Oxycodone was not intended to be taken for more than 14 days at a time for acute cancer-related pain.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar