Can Eliquis cause hives after 3 months of consumption?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been on Eliquis for 3 months and just developed hives... wouldn't I have had a reaction sooner?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be the Eliquis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

It's possible that the hives are from the Eliquis, even if you have been on it for 3 months. It's also possible that they developed for other reasons - reactions to foods or something in the environment or even thyroid problems.

However, I do advise that you call the doctor who prescribed you the Eliquis immediately to let him/her know what is going on. Because if it is possible it is the Eliquis, your doctor will want for you to change to a different blood thinning medication. So call immediately as you neither want to be without a blood thinner nor should continue one that might be causing an allergic reaction.