Can Combivent Respimat Inhalation be used to treat symptoms of cold?

Cardiologist
Question
My husband we prescribed Combivent respimat to help with breathing issues which the dr though might be lung related. He tried it breifly but discontinued it. He is 76 years old has a history of heart problem. He has had a heart attach in the past. The shortness of breath was recently resolved with the implanting of a pace maker. He is now recovering from a bad cold and and experiencing heavy wheezing. My question is can he use this inhaler briefly to treat the symptoms of the cold ? Thank you, XXXX
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that Combivent contains a beta-2 adrenergic drug and an anticholinergic drug, which may lead to palpitations and cardiac arrhythmia in susceptible persons.

But, as your father implanted a pacemaker, the risk of cardiac arrhythmia is really low.

So, Combivent is not contraindicated now for a short period of time.

If he experiences palpitations again, I would recommend using a steroid inhaler instead of Combivent.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri