• question-icon

Can CT scan results of a concussion patient be normal?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Accident and Emergency
Question: Is it possible for the CT Scan results of a concussion patient to be totally normal?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Concussion doesn't get picked up in CT-Scan

Detailed Answer:
Hello Kindletheferviddemon, Welcome to HCM,

At first let me assure you that Concussion is always the mildest form of head injury, which involves a temporary shaking of the brain matter due to external impact of the injury..

So please don't worry as it's temporary thing which gets resolved over a period of time (the time period lasts from few days to even months depends on the impact and severity of the injury).

As for CT-scan is concerned, the answer is no. Concussion injury doesn't get picked up by CT-scan so it's quite likely that your CT-scan will be absolutely normal..

I hope this will clear your doubt. Let me know if you have any further doubts..

Take Care
Kind Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist