Can BCG treatment for bladder cancer lead to loss of brain cells?
Very rare side effect
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but it is very unlikely for BCG treatement of bladder cancer to cause such a serious side effect. It's side effects are usually well tolerated including body pain and burning sensation while urination. However a very rare, but potentially serious side effect of BCG is called systemic BCG reaction that can occur following exposure to BCG.. Symptoms of a systemic BCG reaction include unexplained high fever lasting 24-48 hours or more, chills, confusion, dizziness or lightheadedness or shortness of breath. A systemic BCG reaction can cause pneumonitis (inflammation in the lungs), hepatitis (inflammation in the liver), prostatitis (inflammation in the prostate gland), epididmal-orchitis (inflammation in the testes), respiratory distress and other symptoms of sepsis that may affect brain functions as well.. unfourtanetly it can not be expected as it doesn't occur except very rarely.. I hope you find this helpful..
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Chemotherapy treatment for bladder cancer
- Bcg installation for bladder cancer
- Treatment options for bladder cancer
- Treatment and cure for bladder cancer
- Bladder cancer treatment
- Bcg instillation for bladder cancer
- Bladder cancer diagnosis and treatment
- Natural treatments for bladder cancer
- Treatment for bladder cancer bcg
- Mitomycin treatment for bladder cancer