Can Atenolol be detected in blood or urine test?

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have to take a DOT physical today, a year ago when I took my first one I had to be put on Atenolol for blood pressure even though I didn't really have a blood pressure issue. I have a white coat issue and I tend to get a little anxious for my DOT physical. I stopped the Atenolol months ago and my BP has been fine. I took one of my left over Atenolol yesterday and plan to take another this morning to be on the safe side. If I tell them I no longer take the BP medication can it be detected with a urine or blood test?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It won't be detected in Blood or urine.

Detailed Answer:
HI

No it won't be detected in urine or blood . But it is not a good idea to take Aten and then getting BP checked and also not informing your doctor about it.

If you feel you have White coat Hypertension then you can ask for 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 16 minutes later
My regular doctor is fully aware of my medical status and what I'm taking or not taking. This physical is done by another facility for my DOT medical card and is done once a year or 2 years dependant on if you take BP medications or not. I would prefer to be listed as not on medication because I currently don't take medication regularly and I wouldn't have to get a physical but every years. BP was taken at my regular doctor the other day and it was 110/70 without medication.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Fine Then.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Fine then . It won't be detected in blood tests or Urine tests. Relax.