Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

151 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Burning sensation in penis with urinary hesitancy. What could be done?

Answered by
Dr. V. Sasanka


Practicing since :1995

Answered : 529 Questions

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Question: I am a male age 75.I feel like I must urinate but not able.When I try I get burning in the penis.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could be retention of urine Detailed Answer: Hi, What you have described sounds like retention of urine. This happens when there is an obstruction to the passage of urine. This can also happen when the bladder muscle becomes weak. There are two or three common causes for the obstruction to occur - in cases of prostate enlargement, or if there is a stricture which is an impediment to urine flow, or when a stone from kidney or bladder has come and is obstructing the outlet. Either way, the best way to tackle this is by having a few basic tests done after some physician / surgeon / urologist has examined you. If they find that the bladder is over distended, they might suggest you to have a urinary catheter to let the urine come out without impediment from the bladder. If the bladder is not over distended, you might be served well by starting some medications, some of which like Flomax are what we call 'alpha-blockers', and help reduce the tone of the bladder neck, and aid you in passing urine better. If there is a stone obstructing the passage, this needs to be removed, which is a simple endoscopic procedure. Some urologists might recommend you to have an additional procedure for opening the outlet if they feel this is very obstructed. In patients who have an under-active bladder, as might happen due to long-standing diabetes mellitus, your urologist might ask you to get a test called urodynamics done before any further intervention. Hope I have been able to help you. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Urodynamic testing

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am a 40 yr old woman referred to a urologist when trace of blood was detected in my urine. This was a month ago. Since 1 week, I have burining and throbbing sensation in the lower most past of my urinary tract. Urination has become increasingly painful, especially towards the end of urination. I have a constant urge to urinate along with burning. I also notice today that towards the end of urinating there is blood flowing along with clots in the urine. I am unable to reach my urologist. Please help!

doctor1 MD

Had Hemorroid surgery 5 days ago, removed three external and several internal, having trouble urinating. Have a stream but little volume. Always feels like I have a nearly full bladder. No fever. What can I do to empty my bladder? Should I be concerned about a uti? Rectum usually starts to spasm when I start forcing me to stop urinating.

doctor1 MD


One year ago I developed acute bladder dysfunction literally overnight. Had to void every 15 minutes and self catheterise to empty the 200-300mls I was retaining. I was commenced on Oxybutin and told to try and void every 90 minutes which was almost impossible. Within 3 weeks I started to leak urine. Urodynamics showed no sign of OAB and cystoscopy was negative. At present 1 year on, I void up to 25 times a day. Only pass a maximum of 150mls with complete bladder emptying and can go every 30-60 minutes most days.

I am presently on the trial for Sacral Nerve Stimulation and have had the stimulator in place for 1 week with no change to symptoms whatsoever.

Looking for a possible diagnosis so that I can hopefully receive the correct treatment as I cannot continue to live this way. I would be grateful for any advice.

Julie Nelson

doctor1 MD

I am retaining too much urine with very high residuals of 500- 700 cc s . I have had a cystoscopy, a TURP and was told by the Dr. to loose weight and exercise and will be having some urodynamic testing done in about 2 months. I have been doing self caths 2-3 times a day and to continuue with this. I am finding this extremely frustrating and wondering if more can be done. The Dr. said it may be permanent.

doctor1 MD

When I press my bladder it pains and it pains even after I finish urination and feels like still wanted to go to toilet. Fells constantly like urine is there. I had cistocopy 2 months ago and the doctor was saying my blader neck was narrower than...

doctor1 MD

I have an indentation left of my pubic bone (right where the left ureter would be); I have had a uti minus bacterial growth in cultures (2 of them in the last 3 months) for 3 months now; my lower stomach (or bladder???) is sooooo hard and feels...

doctor1 MD

I have developed a problem releasing too much urine during the night. I wear the most absorbent pad I can find but I still cannot make it to the bathroom on arising in the morning without an accident. I do not take any medication for OAB because...