Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Broke tibia, fibia and ankle bone, had multiple knee injuries. Information on leg shortening surgeries? Healing time quicker?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10364 Questions
I'm a 32 year old male. I broke my tibia, fibia, and ankle bone at the growth plates when I was 16. I have a leg length discrepancy. In my longer leg I have experienced multiple knee injuries and have Orthotics have not worked for me. I'm 6'0 tall and would like information on specialists involved with leg shortening surgeries. I'm fully grown and would prefer this surgery over leg lengthening of the shorter leg. I have read that healing time is much quicker with a leg shortening procedure. I'm located in San XXXXXXX CA but willing to travel. Thanks so much.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
In leg length discrepancy, shortening of femur is preferred over shortening of tibia.
Subtrochanteric and supracondylar osteotomies fixed with a blade-plate can be used to correct associated deformity. Mid-shaft shortening can be performed by a closed or open method.
Open surgeries are always preferred over the closed surgeries for limb length correction.
You are correct in stating that limb shortening is preferable to lengthening because it is quicker and simpler, produces less severe complications, allows faster mobilisation, shorter hospitalisation, and lower costs.
The procedure needed in your case can be decided upon after a thorough clinical examination and X-rays.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor