Broke tibia, fibia and ankle bone, had multiple knee injuries. Information on leg shortening surgeries? Healing time quicker?
Thanks for posting your query.
In leg length discrepancy, shortening of femur is preferred over shortening of tibia.
Subtrochanteric and supracondylar osteotomies fixed with a blade-plate can be used to correct associated deformity. Mid-shaft shortening can be performed by a closed or open method.
Open surgeries are always preferred over the closed surgeries for limb length correction.
You are correct in stating that limb shortening is preferable to lengthening because it is quicker and simpler, produces less severe complications, allows faster mobilisation, shorter hospitalisation, and lower costs.
The procedure needed in your case can be decided upon after a thorough clinical examination and X-rays.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cold leg after a knee injury means
- Ankle swelling after knee injury
- Knee injury hurts to walk is it healing
- Cold leg after knee injury
- Leg will not straighten after knee injury
- Red rash lower leg after knee injury
- Cold leg following knee injury
- Knee injury swollen ankle
- Knee injury cannot straighten leg
- Knee injury cold leg