Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Bleeding during intercourse. Pap smear, colposcopy and blood test normal. Underlying cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 99 Questions
I have been to 3 doctors regard bleeding during sex, a fair bit of bleeding that lasts for the next 24 to 48 hours. This has been happening for about 6 months now. I have had Pap smears, colposcopy, blood work and swabs and they say there is nothing wrong!! The doctors only suggestions have been to build up my iron as i am quite anemic. What can I do now? This is really upsetting me, it doesn't help my self confidence and in turn is hurting my relationship. I am otherwise healthy, i have a healthy life style, i am 1.68m tall and weigh a healthy 56kg. Also i have a very loving and gentle relationship with my husband of 16 years. Also there do not seem to be any signs of menopause. I don't want to be touched by any more doctors who can't suggest any answers. Please help!!
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

It is good that pap smear, colposcopy, blood tests are normal. This rules out cancer of the uterine cervix. In such cases the cause of post coital bleeding might be due to erosion (ectopy) - that is growth of columnar epithelium caudally over the ectocervix which gets injured and bleeds during sex. Such erosions are associated with hormonal changes. This can be easily treated by cryotherapy.

Other occasional causes of post coital bleeding are cervicitis ,vaginitis cervical polyp, etc., which should be treated accordingly.

A qualified gynecologist will know about these conditions and can be able to treat these conditions. You may discuss with your current treating doctor or request for a gynecologist appointment.

Hope you will get rid of the problem. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor