At 9 pm last night my 5 year old daughter

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
At 9 pm last night my 5 year old daughter tripped on the footpath. She cried a little initially and was absolutely alright for the next 2 hours and she didnt complain until 11 pm.
At 11 pm she started limping and walking. We saw a swelling on her -bridge/midfoot. Basically the area of the foot on top just after the ankel.
She is fine and doest complain if she sitting or sleeping. She has had no medication till now.
We applied tiger balm before she fell asleep and now she asleep.
Is this a fracture or a sprain. What should we do. Please advise.
Mon, 12 Feb 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to get the child examined. X Ray might be needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It is certain that some tissue injury has occurred. It could be simple soft tissue injury (includes a sprain) but bony injury (including fracture) is also possible. Had it been a bony injury, the symptoms possibly would have been more intense. Nevertheless, it would be a good idea to get her evaluated by a doctor and to get an X Ray done. Without that, it would be hard to comment whether it really is a fracture.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: At 9 pm last night my 5 year old daughter 1 hour later
On waking up this morning my daughter is not complaining of pain and says she is fine. However whilst walking and running she has a slight limp. She did a tip toe dance walk as well with ease. When we rotated her leg she doesnt complain of pain.
For your reference I have attached a photo as well.
Having read the above and seeing the photo what is your conclusion.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cold compress should help

Detailed Answer:
I have checked the attached image. The swelling is not much. Less likely to involve a fracture. I think that you can wait and watch. Cold compress will help. Also give her Crocin (paracetamol) if there is pain.

Follow-up: At 9 pm last night my 5 year old daughter 15 minutes later
Please could you help with the below 4 questions.
1. How long to wait & watch.
2. What are the signs or symptoms which if develops that we need to take her for x ray.
3. What to tell the xray operator. He will ask what to take x ray of?
4.Incase she gets pain how much crocin to give her. Her weight is 16 kg's
I would appreciate if you can answer the above pointwise.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Questions answered in sequence.

Detailed Answer:
1. Wait till you see if there is restriction of range of movement, or severe pain.
2. Gross swelling, severe pain, restriction of range of movement.
3. X ray of foot (affected side) - AP
4. Syr. Crocin (120) 10 ml when needed.