Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Arm amputated after car accident. Having bad phantom pain. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 926 Questions
I was in a car accident 14 years ago and had my arm amputated 8 days later. to this day i have really bad phantom pain. its always there not always painful but it is very painful most of the time. what should i do?
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

I'm sorry that you had to through a traumatic experience with the car accident.

Painful sensations due to phantom limb should have come down by now. However, if it is really bad, you can request your physician to prescribe you low doses of antidepressants like amitryptiline 10 mg which might help with the pain relief.

If the pain is bearable and not that bad, just ignore it and continue with your daily activities.

I would also advise you to sign up for relaxation/meditation classes .

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor