Are tingling sensation in the face and high BP symptoms of potassium deficiency?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am currently on lostran 50 mg am having facial tingling and high blood pressure spike during middle of day!
I have had a CT of brain and it’s clear! Could I be dehydrated. The symptoms quickly goes away! It feel like a
Imbalance. Maybe potassium?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that it is important performing a comprehensive differential diagnosis between different causes that may lead to this clinical situation: TIA (transient ischemic attacks), an electrolyte imbalance, thyroid gland dysfunction, uncontrolled hypertension, etc..

For this reason I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values through the day and refer them to your doctor in order to make the proper adjustments to your antihypertensive therapy ( increase the dose of losartan) if needed.

I would also recommend performing some tests:

- a resting ECG and a cardiac ultrasound
- a Doppler ultrasound of the carotid arteries
- fasting glucose levels
- thyroid hormone levels
- kidney and liver function tests
- complete blood count
- blood electrolytes.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri