• question-icon

Are there any ways to repair scar tissues in the throat?

Posted on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: CAN SCARE TISSUE IN YOUR THROAT BE FIXED OR REMOVED
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Scar tissue can be revised depending upon the site...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query.

Certain scar tissues can be released depending upon the size and location.

In your case, there could be fibrosis of the mucosa of the throat following surgery over the spine.

I would suggest you to get a laryngoscopic examination done, to assess the pharyx and larynx. Depending upon the findings future course of action can be taken.

Hope this answers your query. I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 29 minutes later
what would they do to get the scare tissue out of there also is this a special dr laryngoscopic or can my plastic surgery dr do it
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Scar tissue or strictures can be released using laser...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Laryngoscopic examination is a technique to evaluate the throat by using the flexible endoscope. The endoscope is introduced through the nose into the throat and the tract up to the level of vocal cords are visualized for any abnormalities. If there are any strictures down the tract, it can be released by using laser. This is usually performed by an ENT specialist.

Secondly, an assessment of the throat or lower down into the food pipe has to be performed to look for any implants (if placed during spinal surgery) protruding into the tract, which could be cause swallowing abnormalities.

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist