Are lightheadedness, heart palpitations and fatigue indications of anxiety?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Have been experiencing light headlines air hunger heart palpitations and fatigue on and off for past ten years Currently going through a bout right now About four years went to cardiologist had hotter and echocardiogram all came out clear diagnosed with tachycardia due to stress have been to pulmonologist diagnosed with mild asthma can all these symptoms be reactions to anxiety or should I seek second opinion
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Depends on additional illnesses that may be present

Detailed Answer:

The holter would have looked at the rate and rhythm and the echo would have looked at the different chambers of the heart and how they pumped/moved.

These tests should have been able to determine if there were problems with the heart.

Unless you have severe or uncontrolled high blood pressure, uncontrolled diabetes or high untreated cholesterol or history of smoking- there is unlikely to be any change in the tests.

If you do have one or more of these conditions then you should be reassessed.

The pulmonologist would have been able to assess the lungs for any issues other than mild asthma.

If you do not have any illnesses that could have worsened your heart function then the symptoms are likely due to stress/anxiety
Anxiety can be treated by counselling and medications.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Thanks for your timely response I had a physical about 6 months ago My blood pressure sugar and cholesterol were ok I was diagnosed with a mild fatty liver but dr did not seem overly concerned was told to up my excercuse regiment Is it common for anxiety to manifest itself physically
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:

That is how anxiety normally presents

Detailed Answer:

Yes, that is how it normally shows itself.

Persons may have many different types of symptoms due to anxiety- chest pain, palpitations, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, headaches, nausea, vomiting etc.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician