Are generic medicines for diabetes and hypertension advisable?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 13 Nov 2018 in Diabetes
Question: Hi doctor

My father started using the generic medicines for sugar and bp,

is it preferred or not ?
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Generic medicines won't match with standard medicines that are mentioned.

Detailed Answer:

Whatever generic medicines you have mentioned are not correct in terms of content and dose.
1) Telma 40 contains Telmisartan 40mg but the generic medicine you have mentioned contains Telmisartan 40mg with another drug Hydrochlorthiazide 12.5mg

2) Standard medicine for diabetes that you have mentioned contains Glimepiride 2mg with Metformin 500mg but the generic medicine contains Glimepiride 1mg with Metformin 500mg.

So I may not suggest to use that generic combination as a substitute to that of standard medicines you have mentioned.

As such there is no harm in using generic medicines unless & until content and dose of drug is matched appropriately.

Hope this helps.

Dr Abhay Mali
Diabetologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T